Family of Academic Minds (FAM), formerly called VU Family, is a student association based at the Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam. FAM started as a student initiative subsidized by the Echo foundation and the Dutch Ministry of Education, Culture and Science.
As FAM we try to build a community of support at University where students can bond together and learn from each others’ experience and different perspectives. We aim to do so by connecting students from different backgrounds in academia, e.g. different cultural backgrounds, religion, gender, study, college year and so forth. Our activities are focused on academia, future career, public debate, diversity and inclusion and fun! We organize multiple events throughout the academic year and we also have a Family Group program where students can be matched up with other students from different backgrounds.
- Organize (unconventional) events with a focus on culture.
- Facilitate bonding trips for the different “families”.
- Provide a safe space for students.
- Provide information and tips for students related to their university.
- Conduct social research on diversity and inclusion under the student population.
- Build a business network that helps students with their future career.
FAM is committed to act as a diverse and inclusive community where students can socialize, network and learn from each other.
FAM enhances the academic, cultural and personal development of students and guides them in building their network. Simultaneously, it acts as a supportive community and safe space for students where they can talk about difficult topics. FAM also aims to create awareness on topics such as diversity, culture and inclusion.